Monday, February 9, 2009

You never know what kind of day mom is going to have. We are still in awe with the drastic changes that can occur from day to day. Mom hasn't slept all day! Which is very, very unusual. Dad and Kanani were up with her at 6:30 this morning and when I took over at 9:30 am she was still awake. She never slept while I was on duty this morning or Kanani this afternoon. I came back for night duty at 9:00 pm and she still was awake! It's 9:37 and she is finally dozing off.

I had some good quality time with mom this morning. I had to be creative since she wasn't sleeping so I cut her nails and filed them. I even entertained the thought of painting them just to see what it looked like since I've never seen them any color but natural! I didn't though. . .no polish in the house. Mom was rotated up on her side facing the pictures of all us kids and grand kids. She just stared at those pictures and kept trying to say all our names. She then said "gether together", "gather together" I asked? "You want me to gather all the children together?" With determination in her eyes she said "gether together." I thought for a second. "Oh together forever?" "Yes together forever." I went on to say yes our family will be together forever. She sorta got a semi grin. I told her she didn't have to worry about leaving because we'd all be together someday. She repeated over and over "family forever, forever." And then with my teary eyes and croaky voice I sang Families can be together forever. She sang a word or two and I knew without a doubt that this principle of the gospel is true.

She also said "It's good to be here." And of course this is surprising me because the last two days we haven't been able to understand her. Kanani said on her shift that mom was talking in understandable sentences too. All we can say is wow!

Mom got a bath today which she loves. She loves getting her hair combed, her teeth brushed, and her hands and feet massaged!

Dad says he is doing so-so. Not great, not bad. . .just so-so. I do want you to know what a caring husband he is. I watch him tuck mom in at night making sure she has covers and is comfortable and that she takes her pills faithfully so she won't feel pain. He also makes sure she has her breakfast shake in the mornings. I know he loves his wife dearly and I am so grateful that they have an eternal companionship.

2 comments:

  1. Lehua...I just want to take a minute and tell you how AWESOME you are for keeping up the blog! You do such a good job and I am so grateful for you:) I have the best family in the world hands down! I love you all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lehua,

    My thanks also for sharing these tender moments with Aunt Norma. I was very blessed to go through an initiatory session as a patron while she was the temple worker and I have to tell you that was a sweet memory for me to remember your mom serving in the temple. She has such natural abilities to serve and trusts in our Heavenly Father's plan that will help us be "together forever." Such a pure and simple concept that many fail to understand.

    Love to you all,

    Amy

    ReplyDelete